Friday, November 25, 2011

The Soup Nazi

Some people say they could live on it all year round. Most people say it's their favourite winter meal. I only learned to like it, sort of, after getting married. And even then, it has to be just the right kind on just the right kind of day before I'll say yes to soup. Old wife's tales and increasingly often the medical profession tout the healing qualities of chicken soup. Some cultures espouse the aphrodisiac or fertility properties of certain soups. I usually eat it to keep warm. I guess I'm missing something. It must be a genetic predisposition that I'm lacking, something related perhaps to the gene that makes me hate cilantro.
So, inspired by a dish that I saw being made on TV last night, I went out today in search of a pork hock. No simple soup for me, I thought. There will be plenty of time for that once the weather gets really cold. Today I will serve up a delicious German inspired meal. You see, you can do so many things with this particular cut of the pig. According to the very competent looking chef, you can make a delicious dinner using this succulent meat and just a few things that you should always keep in your pantry such as cabbage, sour kraut and Annis seed.  Having spent an unexpected hour roaming the city in search of pork hock, I had little time to hunt down the rest. There I was pork hock in the fridge and the clock steadily ticking toward dinner hour.
Adamant that I would come up with a dish worthy the hour I spent driving around town, I scoured the internet for ideas. Many recipe sites and some helpful facebook friends helped me narrow my options down to baked beans and split pea soup.  I think you will not be too surprised to find out which won out.  Who knows, it may be one I'll add to my soup repertoire. If not, I'm sure my husband, who happens to be one of those that could live on the stuff year round, will be happy that sour kraut is not a staple of my pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment