Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Can I pay you to read this?

What greater wish could a parent harbor than to have their children living a life that they find fulfilling and one that brings them closer to their desired goals? I can't think of too many. Even if our personal wishes come to fruition, they can't shine as brightly when the children are struggling, when their path is strewn with quick sand or pot holes.

Today, one of my and my daughter's Christmas wishes came true. As she so aptly put, "Kids, Santa is real!" All she, and in turn I for her, wanted for Christmas was to get a job. Any paying job would have been good, but a "big girl job" is what she really wanted. A full time job, in her field of study, that allowed her to "be paid to read." Since this has been a goal of hers for a long time now, albeit, a goal she considered very unlikely to meet, in the near future anyway,we were all "over the moon" when "the call" came this morning.Yes sirree, 9-5 of reading book manuscripts in final preparation for print. This is a girl who would read if she had to pay to do it. And here, they were offering to pay her. How is that for a Christmas miracle?

That brings me to the question of wishes and the miracle of having them come true. The way I see it, we might as well set our sights high. I mean, wishing to get something totally within reach, never results in a miracle, but going for a goal that seems like a "pie in the sky" is what miracle workers specialize in. Whether your miracle worker's name is God or Santa, or good old fashioned Perseverance and Serendipity, there is nothing like the feeling of putting your faith in something beyond yourself and just "going for it" with every fiber of your being.

This Christmas will be a special one at our house. Both the kids are working hard on their chosen paths and I know that miracles will continue to pop up for them just as surely as the pot holes that are are a part of every road. Look how far they've come already. They are fine examples of all that is good in the world and why it's always a good idea to plan for the miraculous in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to her. I'll be sending my manuscript along in about a year or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let her know to look out for it!

    ReplyDelete