Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The white stuff

The picture outside my window shows rain, as it has since yesterday evening. The picture on the Weather Channel is a raindrop along side a snowflake. It had to happen sooner or later, the fist snow has to come sometime. Even though we are located in the southern-most part of Canada we've had our share of the white stuff most winters.
I have vivid memories of skidoos driving down Wyandotte St. E circa 1974 and my mother walking home after having walked for over an hour to get to work, not trusting that her car would make it through all the snow. We've had some unusually warm winters too, like the one around 15 years ago when it was warm enough on Christmas Eve for me to dash outside in my shorts in order to throw out the garbage. But, as much as I don't like the cold, there is something unnatural about temperatures that hover above 10 degrees in the thick of winter. Maybe I'm channeling my early childhood, but even I feel a certain sense of anticipation when the weather man calls for the first snow of the season.
Here's a clip from The Snowman, an animated British film about a boy and a snowman. I don't know why but when the kids were small, I looked forward to watching it as much as they did. If you have children between 3-10, I'm sure they will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment