Sunday, November 27, 2011

Poetry for Christmas

I had a poem written for me today. I simply reached into a basket, picked out three random words and quickly though of three more that I associated with the ones in my hand. The poet wrote them all down and within five minutes used them all to created a masterpiece. And you thought you could only find ceramic Christmas trees at a holiday art fair!
I wondered the halls of the Vollmer Complex and gazed at the many hand crafted wares available for sale. I was in my element. It is holiday art fairs such as this that help me get in the Christmas mood each year. The rain could have been snow, but when inside the building there was no mistaking the time of year. People were picking up, putting down, admiring at arm's length, chatting with the artists and on many occasions even reaching for their wallets.
It was right at the end of one of the corridors that I finally spotted the table I had been most interested in seeing. A poet friend of mine was participating in the show as part of a group of writers. They were reading examples of their work and also offered Poetry On Demand. What fun!
I reached into the basket and after taking longer than I should have to free associate three more words, I handed over my contribution and put them to work. Talk about watching alchemy at work. I could not observe the glassblowers, jewelry makers, or the photographers at work but there I was looking on as the words which were just letters strung together moments before took on the shape of meaning.
Here is just one:(Hand-Heart, Flower-Tulip, Hair-Cut)

Can you feel it?
Inspiration blooms around you
in the colours of a tulip
fearless flower of spring
Flows from your heart
to your writing hand
Makes you shiver
like a fresh breeze
on the back of your neck
after a good hair cut.

And you wonder why it made me smile!
Here's a you tube look at one of my favourite non-local poets. You may consider giving a book of poetry as a Christmas gift. I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment