Friday, December 30, 2011

Too much of too much

Well, so much for posting everyday throughout winter. I should have known that was an impossible task considering the presence of Christmas holidays and all the preparation and post holiday discombobulation that accompany it this time of year. Having the chance to finally clear the post-Christmas fog, and reflect on the last several days, this morning I came to the conclusion that the birth of  the idea of the "seven deadly sins" must have taken place at this time of year. At last count, I could account for at least five out of the seven being displayed in plain view within the last several days.

People, usually kind, motivated, restrained and charitable, are now transformed into greedy, slovenly and glutenous creatures, seemingly overnight. ( I use the collective "we" here) The overabundance of food and free time has played to our lowest common denominator and transformed us into the kind of human being the bible has long warned us about. This, of course, is on a level that only hints at the what is possible if left unchecked. I, as well as many others, already feel the nagging longing for life to "get back to normal." We've had enough of staying up till morning, sleeping till the afternoon, eating till we feel we will burst and scouring the flyers  for yet another electronic gadget .

Don't get me wrong. I would never deny any one including myself, the pleasure of a tryptophane fog, the sweet and spicy heaven of a gingerbread cookie or the anticipation of opening that shiny package under our bejeweled tree. It's the quantities I object to. Too much shiny, too much sweet, too much of too much for my liking. Bring on the New Year and the slow but relentless build up to Valentine's day.

1 comment: