Thursday, December 1, 2011

Screaming down a mountain side

So it seems that many, many people all around the world like to strap long, thin, slippery pieces of wood on to their boots and launch themselves from steep, snow covered hills and sometimes even treacherous mountain tops. So many people, in fact, like this winter time activity so much that it was given a name and a whole industry has developed around it. You can now participate in the sport of alpine skiing anywhere the presence of snow meets adequately hilly terrain. Considering the fact that I live in Canada, you would think that skiing is something I learned to do right after I mastered the skill of walking. That may be for many Canadians, especially the ones living in the northern reaches of our country but as for me, it took some 16 years before I had the pleasure of screaming down a mountain side.
 When I say I screamed down a mountain side I mean it literally, sort of. I did plenty of screaming but the mountain part isn't exactly accurate. I happened to be on a "bunny hill", or what can also be described as an almost imperceptible dip in elevation. That should have been everyone's first clue as to the mismatch of  my temperament  to this particular sport. I also have to brag that I actually made it past the "bunny hill" and onto a tow rope and eventually the chairlift. But, since I'm being honest, I should also mention that the screaming part remained a constant part of the entire experience.
I was 16 then, and being the eternal optimist, I returned to the mountain and strapped on those dreaded planks of wood at least two or three more times. Unfortunately, not much changed with each experience. But, as I couldn't help but notice, many, many others managed to refrain from screaming and actually seemed to enjoy the experience. It wasn't till a year or two later that I discovered the sport of cross country skiing. It was more my speed but the snow and the slippery lumber were still part of the deal.
What can I say, it seems that I just wasn't meant to be a winter girl. Even though the sport of skiing did not become a part of who I am today,I can't help but laugh when I think back to those days and way I enjoyed sipping my hot cider as I watched the rest of the skiers from the comfort of the lodge.
Here are three looks at the sport of skiing. One sensible one and two fit for much more adventurous sorts.





No comments:

Post a Comment