Friday, December 16, 2011

Hot Tamales

I made Mexican tamales today. I know, it's the last thing that I'd thought I'd ever be making, especially at this time of year. But the opportunity landed in my lap and considering that I 'd never get the chance again, I welcomed the chance. My little sister, technically a cousin, who's been spending a considerable amount of time in Mexico, arrived home for Christmas with a big idea under her belt. Tamales, a staple of that culture, are apparently available on every other street corner regardless of the village or town. The fact that they are not a part of the menu at most of our local Mexican restaurants or available as a ready to assemble kit on our grocery store shelf, probably has something to do with the fact that they it took us two afternoons as well as several ingredients, that are not usually present in my cupboards, to make approximately 30. I understand that once you know what you're doing, and you have all the necessary things on hand, you can probably churn out dozens per hour. Fortunately for little sister, she is willing to do what many in our fast paced, fast food society are not. We used duck confit, a few different varieties of chillies, tomatillos, several kinds of mushrooms, cilantro, lots of cilantro, a specially treated corn flour and reconstituted corn husks to hold it all together. And here, I'm just naming a few things that passed before my eyes on their way to or from the fry pan or food processor.We were her official taste testers and pass the test she did. The beautifully wrapped parcels of yumm are now resting in my freezer waiting to be brought back to life when the entire family has gathered. The foodies in Toronto are going to be licking their chops when tamale chef extraordinaire unleashes her creativity and tamale making energy on them. Check out the info on this amazing dish and the chef who's going to make it her business.


https://www.facebook.com/#!/tasteyourfreedom

No comments:

Post a Comment