Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pass the borscht

Since I'm feeling uninspired at the moment as I have been the entire day, but feel determined to post every single day, I have come up with another recipe for a staple at our Christmas Eve dinner. Easter European barszcz or more commonly known as borscht is enjoyed by Poles, Ukranians, Russians, and Hungarians as well as many North Americans of that ethnic heritage. I must say, since I have never been a soup eater, it has taken me almost 50 years to participate in this Christmas Eve ritual. Last year I distinctly remember having a few spoon fulls as many others oohed and ahhed around the table. Here's a look at a simple way to make this traditional soup. My mother always adds red wine as well as pickled plums and only serves the broth, plums and dumplings (uszka) but I'm sure there are as many ways to make it as there are families who enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment