Thursday, January 12, 2012

Expect the unexpected


        11 days from today I will be on my way to a resort deep in the jungles of North Western Costa Rica. Just a week ago, I had a vague desire to get away from the gloom and the cold of south western Ontario in January but had thought I’d like to wait till the end of February by which time I’d be nearing my limit of cloudy skies and brown terrain.
 But life being as it is, took my desire and put it into its own version of time and space. An innocent phone call, aimed at passing on New Year’s greetings to distant relatives, led to a whirlwind of unencumbered decision making and reshuffling of schedules until I had Cost Rica written on my calendar, in the square marked January 23.
         The speed with which the plans were made is part of the sweetness of the experience. Not only did I not consider Costa Rica when dreaming of a warm, sunny place away from home, but neither did I think that I would be watching monkeys swing from trees outside my balcony in less than two weeks. With so little time to prepare, I will be bringing the bare necessities; shorts, bathing suit, camera, high SPF lotion and deet. But, what else does one really need when jungle and beach are carefully portioned out to semi-adventurous travelers from the north? I don’t expect to be wrestling with any alligators or trudging through the rainforest un-guided. Maybe I’ll bring along my running shoes in case hubby insists on zip lining through the canopies or horse back riding on the beach. That’s as far as I’ll go in preparation for the unforeseen as far as this trip is concerned. Its arrival took me by surprise, let the rest of it take me where it may.

No comments:

Post a Comment