Monday, April 6, 2009

Cold Feet, Warm Heart

There is nothing that melts the heart more than an unexpected hug or in my case today an unexpected foot warming. Following a bout of gut wrenching stomach cramps late this morning, I retreated to my bed in need of a soft pillow and some warm comfort. The pillow was as soft as expected but the warmth was no where to be found. Despite the warm chicken soup that dutiful and concerned daughter brought up after a while and the sips of hot tea carefully consumed, my feet stubbornly refused to defrost. Our oldest mother cat Essie sat seemingly uninterested at the corner of the bed and occasionally glanced my way as I dragged the nearby housecoat and threw it over my legs. She inched a little closer when the observant daughter offered an extra blanket to cover the bulky housecoat. Several minutes later she rose, stretched and carefully approached the bottom of the bed where the icicles formerly known as feet lay just as cold as they were an hour ago. She turned this way and that very unceremoniously plunked her ample body on top of them.
Almost immediately the big thaw began. There is nothing like body heat to take care of an incurable chill. I'm certain that it would have taken an extra half dozen blankets and an entire revolution of the big hand around the clock to achieve what this normally ornery and unapproachable cat was able to in just a few short minutes. The warmth was so delicious that I couldn't help myself but wiggle my feet once in a while to distribute the wealth among every appendage. She was not annoyed, offended or in the least bit perturbed. The blessed cat sat that way for a good three hours while I worked on my lap top and enjoyed the never ending hug from below.
I know that cats are known to be oblivious and aloof but today's experience has confirmed something I've suspected all along. They see and sense more than they let on. Long live the feline.

No comments:

Post a Comment